Dutch ovens are nothing but large cooking pots that can be used for cooking both in an oven as well as at the top of the range or the stove. The most common type of Dutch oven is the one that is made from cast iron. The ovens are known by different names in different parts of the world. For example, in France the ovens are known as cocottes while in Britain these are called casseroles.
You can have either enamelled or bare cast iron Dutch ovens.
- The cast iron is amongst the most preferred option for Dutch ovens are cast iron is known to be an excellent conductor of heat. Due to this benefit, this particular type can be used for a wide range of cooking purposes
- The core of the enamelled variety is the one that is either made from ceramic or from metal. Ceramic, like the cast iron is again a very good conductor of heat and offers great amount of durability to the Dutch ovens
Dutch ovens have a very tight lid and these ovens come with a host of benefits and uses.
Benefits and Uses of Dutch Ovens:
Some of the uses of Dutch Ovens are stated as below:
- You can easily use the Dutch ovens to make different types of soups. These ovens are usually very heavy which means that the heat is conducted well, and you can use them for cooking and making stews
- The huge ovens can be used for frying too. The benefit of frying from the ovens come from the fact that these are made of heavy metals and ceramic which ensures that heat is distributed evenly throughout the large vessel. This, in turn, makes frying really easy and effective in Dutch ovens.
- Because of the size, the Dutch ovens can be used to store plenty of food and in that case, it plays the role of a casserole
- If you want to bake bread or even pizza, you can do the same in Dutch ovens. Not only is the material that is used to make Dutch ovens a good heat conductor, but the size and the tight lid makes baking really easy and fast
- Finally, not only are these ovens used for frying, they can easily be used for roasting different types of vegetables and food items
Thus, to summarize, Dutch ovens are really helpful cookware and is slowly gaining importance!